Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Finding Creative Inspiration at Home


For ideas to begin new work, I often look at home.  When Mike removed tile from our kitchen backsplash a few years ago, I used the raw exposed wall in a couple of ways in two works.  Fellow fiber artist, Mary Ann Littlejohn and I took foam impressions of the rough surface then painted and stamped on cotton.  The result became the background on my SAQA 2015 donation work (fig. 1).  I then photographed the surface and photocopied the photos onto cotton fabric.  These cotton-transferred photos then became the background for a small Fantasy Floral work (fig. 2).  The arrangement was created using painted and printed mushrooms, celery and green peppers.



                                                                       fig. 1


Fantasy Floral #7                                           fig. 2


No comments:

Post a Comment