Sunday, September 25, 2016

Design Exercise: Getting Our Sushi On



BAFA members decided to select a piece of commercial fabric, and cut it into fat-quarters for each participant (Fig. 1).  We each then created a fish from the fabric (Fig. 2-10).  Since it was a low value contrast fabric, some of us used the backside of the fabric.  I did that too but then gave up entirely and took advantage of the muslin backing and paint. My fish design was drawn using a photo of a group of dead Red Snapper as inspiration.  Others drew their own or pulled a pattern off the net.  When I stepped back to look at my finished fish, it reminded me of Sushi so I called it Getting My Sushi On.  I thought all our results were terrific and so imaginative.  We all got our Sushi on with this exercise.
Our next step with this exercise is to get it onto the most imaginative background we can.



Selected Fabric                                               Fig. 1



Beth Mayer                                                    Fig. 2



Dot Collins                                                    Fig. 3



Jerry Lynne Domingue                                  Fig. 4



Kathy Risinger                                               Fig. 5



Sherry Walker                                               Fig. 6



Susan Cornell                                                 Fig. 7



Lisa Johnson                                Fig. 8



Nancy Dickey                                                Fig. 9




Getting My Sushi On                    Fig. 10


1 comment:

  1. Love, Love, LOVE them ALL! Must do this myself now ... sooo beautiful.

    ReplyDelete