Monday, February 22, 2016

Golden Triangle Quilt Guild Show 2016



Over 400 quilts were displayed at the Golden Triangle Quilt Guild Show in Beaumont last week.
My quilt, Age of Asparagus (Figure 1), was fortunate to win a blue ribbon in the Guild's color challenge, modern design, category.  My color was from Crayola's line and was called Asparagus.  All squares and rectangles were raw-edge, free-motion quilted directly onto the quilt top.  Quilting was the most massive quilting coverage I have ever done on a quilt.  Asparagus tips and stalks in body of quilt were from stencils I created using a live stalk as the model.  I drew out a larger version for the stalks in the border.  Stalks and words were painted with pigmented inks and black Gesso. When I finished it, I wanted to cut it up and re-work it into something smaller, probably, because I am not used to working large and it didn't seem like something I would create.  Even a friend who knew my work didn't recognize it as mine.  Since she liked it, and since it did win a ribbon, I took that as a compliment.

I received my critique back last week so I thought I would write a word about the judges.  Two of the judges were NQA certified judges and one was a 30-year veteran quilt appraiser.  They definitely knew what they were looking at (not all of them do and not all are NQA certified).  Her comment on Asparagus was spot on: "A study of value and its contrast is noted and appreciated".



Age of Asparagus        59" x 84"           Fig.1



No comments:

Post a Comment