Saturday, December 26, 2015

Sew Pieceful Bee Exchange 2015


I sometimes think I am the most fortunate person in the world for 100's of reasons but this year I added another one.  At last year's exchange, I drew the name of friend, Karen Mills, to make a wall-hanging to be given at this year's exchange (Karen is the daughter of one of my dearest, most beloved, quilting friends - Inez Miia Libersat).  When I asked her what she wanted, she said, "It's all about Mother".

I knew I wanted to do a portrait of Inez but I wanted to capture her essence not create an exact replica or literal translation of my photo of her taken earlier in the year.  So, I did it the slow way (large square grid and hand-drawn portrait, squinting, arm's length, at the photo for guidance).  I also wanted to use monoprinted fabric I created with her in mind...and Thread Trash.  I then focused on:  1.  Words her family put together in a book featuring her work.  2.  Her career as a life-long stitcher and quilter.  3.  Her favorite colors.  See All About Mother below (Fig. 1).  Note about Miss Inez:  She is 99 years young as of March 16, 2015, and is still very much a modern woman, or as my generation would say, a "hip chick".

S.P. member, free-spirit, Nikki Bracken, drew my name and she did a wet felted piece which I love.  She said it was her first effort and she would never do it again.  She said I could embellish it any way I wanted - a very tempting offer, indeed, given my penchant for working a piece ad infinitum.  Another friend thought it should be mounted, as is, on a quilted black background.  I thought perhaps some rough, homespun fringe.  I'll have to study it awhile to see if it speaks to me.  See Untitled below (Fig. 2).



All About Mother                                                              Fig. 1







Untitled                  Nikki Bracken                                     Fig. 2





 

2 comments:

  1. Nikki's piece is beautiful! I'd be tempted just to mount it. But no matter what you do with it, it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I'm leaning toward that as well though I did think about the possibilities of "oil slick".

      Delete